Toyota may be taking a little heat for the design of 2017 Toyota Prius Prime from some of the publishers and critics including ourselves, but that’s part and parcel of any new product. Some like it, some don’t. With the 2017 Prius Prime going on sale this November, Toyota has revealed the full set of features of the upcoming plug-in hybrid on its website in full.
Starting from the hybrid power and drive train systems, interiors and exteriors, safety and security features, as well as color options and standard warranty details, Toyota has listed it all on its website.
We we have been criticising the design aspects of the 2017 Toyota Prius Prime we won’t touch that bit first. We will instead focus on the powertrain that drive the whole car. Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrain, which seamlessly combines the output of the gasoline engine and electric motor through a planetary-type continuously variable transmission, is the key to the new car. It is the window to Toyota’s expertise that it has garnered over the years.
Toyota explains that there is extended EV mode driving on the 2017 Toyota Prius Prime and to achieve that it has used its “dual motor drive” for the first time in the new Prius Prime wherein its engineers didn’t add another motor, but effectively employed a new one-way clutch that engages both the generator (MG1) and electric drive motor (MG2) for drive force.
Electrical technological advancements are one of the most important aspect of the new Prius Prime, but that’s not all and its gasoline engine deserves equal amount of attention. The 1.8-liter Atkinson-cycle, 4-cylinder engine, used in all 2017 Prius liftback models, expects a groundbreaking 40-percent-plus thermal efficiency. This is something that none of the automobile engines have been able to reach as they max out at 25-30 per cent.
Exterior Features in the Prius Prime Plus include Quad LED Projector headlights with auto-off feature; LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with on/off feature; LED tail and stop lights; Patterned acrylic grille overlay with Active grille shutter; Exclusive Prius Prime badging; Heated power outside mirrors with folding feature; 15-in. 5-spoke alloy wheels with two-tone wheel covers and P195/65R15 tires; Washer-linked Variable Intermittent windshield wipers; Dual wave rear glass design; and Charge port with illumination and charging indictor light.
If you opt for the Prius Prime Premium in addition to the Prius Prime features, you will also get Quad LED Projector headlights with auto-on/off feature; and Smart charging cable lock. For those opting for Prius Prime Advanced, you will get LED fog lights and accent lights; and Rain-sensing Variable Intermittent windshield wipers in addition to or in place of Prius Prime Premium features.
Here is the list of the remaining features:
Prius Prime Plus
- Smart-flow climate control system with air pollen filtration
- Integrated back-up camera
- 4.2″ Color Dual Multi-Information Display with customizable screens including Energy Monitor, Hybrid System Indicator and Eco Score, Eco Savings Record, Drive Monitor, Eco Diary, Climate Control, Driver support systems, audio system content, and navigation system content
- Four-passenger seating with 60/40 split fold-down rear seats and center armrest with cup holders and center console
- SofTex-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio, climate, Multi-Information Display and Bluetooth hands-free phone controls
- Digital instrumentation with speedometer, hybrid system power meter, fuel gauge, odometer, current fuel economy, shift-position indicator and EV/ECO/POWER Mode indicators
- Fabric-trimmed heated front seats with armrests and seatback pockets; 6-way adjustable driver’s seat; 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
- Soft-touch upper door trim with chrome accent, SofTex-trimmed door armrest area with chrome accent interior door handles
- Smart Key System on driver side with Push Button Start
- Power windows with auto up/down
- Dual sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors
- Power door locks
- Rear center console with armrest, storage compartment and two rear cup/bottle holders
- Cargo area lightweight tonneau cover
- One front and one rear 12V auxiliary power outlets
- One front USB power outlet
- Rear dome light
- Cargo area light
- Front door storage pockets with sculpted bottle holders; rear door storage bottle holders
- Foot pedal parking brake
- Charge cable for 120V outlet
Prius Prime Premium (in addition to or in place of Prius Prime Plus features)
- SofTex-trimmed heated front seats with armrests and seatback pockets; 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support; 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
- Smart Key System on three doors with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry
- Qi-compatible wireless charging with charge indicator light
Prius Prime Advanced (in addition to or in place of Prius Prime Premium features)
- Remote A/C system
- SofTex-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with heating capability, audio, climate, Multi-Information Display and Bluetooth hands-free phone controls
- Color Head-Up Display (HUD) with speedometer, navigation and Hybrid System Indicator
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink® universal transceiver
- Cargo area heavy duty tonneau cover
- Blind spot monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) with Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA)
Safety and Security Features
- Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P) – includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Land Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beams and Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Star Safety System™ – includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction control (TRAC), Antilock Stop Technology (SST).
- Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System with front passenger airbag cutoff switch
- Driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags, driver’s knee airbag and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Driver and front passenger active headrests
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Engine immobilizer
- Tire Repair System
- Additional year of roadside assistance for a total of three years of roadside from date of purchase
- Front and rear energy-absorbing crumple zones
- Side-impact door beams
- 3-point seatbelts for all seating positions; driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger seatbelts
- Adjustable front seat shoulder anchors, driver and front passenger seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters
- Child protector rear door locks
- Energy-absorbing collapsible steering column
Prius Prime Advanced (in addition to or in place of standard grade features)
- Safety Connect® — includes Emergency Assistance, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Roadside Assistance and Automatic Collision Notification. Available by subscription. (Complimentary three-year trial subscription).
- Blizzard Pearl
- Magnetic Gray Metallic
- Classic Silver Metallic
- Hypersonic Red
- Titanium Glow
- Blue Magnetism