Cisco, to provide its customers with benefits of software-defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV), has launched an enhanced Cloud-Scale Networking platform.
Through the Cloud-Scale Networking, service providers and web companies will be able to go ahead with large-scale automation for provisioning and network changes in minutes vs. hours; garner a real-time visibility and control through streaming telemetry; double the efficiency over current networking implementation; and reduce their overall cost of operations.
Utilizing data center ‘DevOps’ principles and techniques to offer new levels of agility, efficiency and simplicity, Cisco is extending these benefits beyond the traditional network and into the central office, a pivotal resource for service providers.
By creating a unified Network-as-a-Fabric across central office, metro, core, and data center environments, Cloud-Scale Networking enables transformation through simplification, automation and virtualization.
Cisco highlights its commitment to implement OpenConfig data models in Cisco IOS XR to support the operational needs of our customers. The new capabilities launched today, enabled by Cisco IOS XR include:
- EVPN (Ethernet Virtual Private Network) which provides separation between the data plane and the control plane, creating a unified, centralized overlay control plane based on border gateway protocol (BGP) and industry standards.
- Segment Routing End-to-End that creates a unified, common-forwarding underlay to further simplify network operations
- Model-Driven Telemetry that delivers increased, granular, real-time visibility via native, open, common data models for automation and efficient operation of physical and virtual resources
Cisco is bringing together these Cloud-Scale capabilities across the entire network with new additions to the Cisco Network Convergence Series (NCS) family:
- NCS 5501/5502 – A small form factor router for leaf-spine data center/WAN topology
- NCS 5516 – A modular router for more scalability in leaf-spine topology
- NCS 1001 – A compact, programmable interconnect with integrated optical amplifiers and protection